• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

trip report so far

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
Sorry, but I cannot help but to jump in. Way too many posts below this one which I have not read (I feel another sand box fight behind them). Anywho, I don't think that ls2006... is over the edge. Perhaps presenting a little more info in the original post stating why ... would have satisfied everyone. :idontno: IMHO, Cafe 30A is okay. Food and service is good, but I would rather cook a nice dinner at home. RedBar - I rarely eat there -- avg service and mediocre food (yes, I have eaten the crab cakes). I enjoy the atmosphere, music and drinks at the Red Bar at least once a week. I would never dream of waiting to be seated at the RedBar and this would add to my reasons for not eating there.

I don't remember the other points I was going to make, but do note some general tips:

If you live in Memphis or Chicago, do not eat bbq elsewhere.
If you live in SoWal, do not go on vacation at another beach.
If you live near the sea with fresh seafood available, do not eat seafood in a landlocked state.
If you grew up on a farm, avoid eating canned foods which you did not can.
If you go to a steakhouse, don't order chicken or fish.

Just a few tips on life. ;-)

Right on, dude! :clap_1:
 
... and one more life tip which I recently learned (thankfully not through first-hand experience) is ... don't eat the rock candy in the urinal! :floor:
 
Smiling JOe said:
... and one more life tip which I recently learned (thankfully not through first-hand experience) is ... don't eat the rock candy in the urinal! :floor:

:rolling: :eek:
 
[insert restarurant name] really sucks. We'll never go back!

sums up my feelings exactly! no wonder we are all losing resturants all over, not just in sowal.

i hope it has something to do with memories being sweeter with time, cause i know the last 3 i went to (here and there) were way better before - dust in the corners, cold bread and warm salad whereas the memory was of succulence and admirability

cutting costs to make bigger profits or more production i suspect, or they just don't care anymore

you can always look up the recipes on the internet and make the same meals at home for half the price or less

10 steps to happiness in the home:

1) start the grill and put on the goodies, including the bread on the high rack, and start the salads chilling!

2) a glass of homebrewed each for starters

3) then one whole strawberry each to cleanse the palette - from the garden

4) salads of field greens, superb croutons and a bottle of fancy dressing - $10.00 freezer chilled plates AND salad fork! are free

5) hot crusty oven gold bread and flavored spread - $5.00 while waiting for the appetizer - real butter knife is free

6) flip the food on the grill and pull off the appetizer

7) grilled bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer - $5.00 toothpicks are free

8) by the time you're done with the appetizer, the food on the grills ready!

9) whole florida pompano, red snapper and pan-seared grouper (free)

10) drop the dishes in the dishwasher, set for potscrubber and out to the deck with a bottle of wine to watch the stars - PRICELESS (no driving, no duis, no idiots, no bad service, no bad food, no dirty bathrooms or dirty silverware or dirty napkins)
 
Smiling JOe said:
... and one more life tip which I recently learned (thankfully not through first-hand experience) is ... don't eat the rock candy in the urinal! :floor:

Where were ya last week:idontno: Nearly chipped a tooth:bang:
 
aquaticbiology said:
[insert restarurant name] really sucks. We'll never go back!

sums up my feelings exactly! no wonder we are all losing resturants all over, not just in sowal.

i hope it has something to do with memories being sweeter with time, cause i know the last 3 i went to (here and there) were way better before - dust in the corners, cold bread and warm salad whereas the memory was of succulence and admirability

cutting costs to make bigger profits or more production i suspect, or they just don't care anymore

We're coming down in August. We've always made a Brunos pizza a "must". We've always had way too much food at Capo's. The stromboli was really good.
This year we had planned to FINALLY remember to go to Pandora's at G.B. for the prime rib. Had heard lots of good things about it.

But alas, Brunos has changed their pizza, resulting in many less than favorable reviews.
The last I heard, Capo's was a crater awaiting condo construction.
And Pandora's had changed management, also resulting in less than favorable reviews as far as management itself was concerned. (the staff at last report was still excellent)

So what's a 1 week visitor on a tight budget (for us this means maybe $250 to spend during the week, not 1 night) to do? :idontno:
Looks like carryout chicken from Publix. Anything from The Donut Hole. Pizza from Amore. And the assorted grilled foods cooked myself. I can live with that.
But I sure will miss my Brunos pizza. :(
 
aquaticbiology said:
[insert restarurant name] really sucks. We'll never go back!

sums up my feelings exactly! no wonder we are all losing resturants all over, not just in sowal.

I think many of them are just plain scared they will end up like Sandor's or the plethora of other restaurants in the area that have been gobbled up by developers or are unable to maintain managable operating costs. Still, that is not an excuse for half-assing it with regard to food and service.

Even if you don't like a particular place, it still promotes the overall good of other restaurants when there is more competition. We are reaching a point where there simply won't be any more restaurants on 30-A (save the places at existing developments like Fish out of Water and Onano).

Therefore, if there is anything we, as board members, can do (or not do), to help keep these places going, then we need to do just that. It's a public board. Be careful what you say. People's livlihoods may be at stake.

I don't want to see the day when the section of 98 that runs north of 30-A looks like freaking PCB with Taco Bells, Wendy's, O'Charley's, etc dotting the landscape.
 
gilesdad said:
We're coming down in August. We've always made a Brunos pizza a "must". We've always had way too much food at Capo's. The stromboli was really good.
This year we had planned to FINALLY remember to go to Pandora's at G.B. for the prime rib. Had heard lots of good things about it.

But alas, Brunos has changed their pizza, resulting in many less than favorable reviews.
The last I heard, Capo's was a crater awaiting condo construction.
And Pandora's had changed management, also resulting in less than favorable reviews as far as management itself was concerned. (the staff at last report was still excellent)

So what's a 1 week visitor on a tight budget (for us this means maybe $250 to spend during the week, not 1 night) to do? :idontno:
Looks like carryout chicken from Publix. Anything from The Donut Hole. Pizza from Amore. And the assorted grilled foods cooked myself. I can live with that.
But I sure will miss my Brunos pizza. :(

Don't forget about yummy Cocoons! Oops....just heard his place is up for sale too! :bang:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top