• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Where do the Hispanics eat?

New posts
Hey, the taco thread got me to thinking about this. Where do the Hispanic workers (mostly construction guys) eat for lunch? I don't know if they brown bag it or if there is a trailer they go to or what. One thing I learned post Katrina was that there are food trailers that cater to these guys and the food is muy authentico. Me and Mrs Skunkape can get a fistfull of killer tacos and Mexican drinks (not booze but flavored waters in longnecks) for a song. Anything like this hidden from the masses in SOWAL? :idontno:
 
Seriously...they go out shopping at night after work, buy up tons of tortillas and all the fixin's and mostly brown bag it to work....

I'll bet the farm that they don't spend their entire week's wages eating lunch @ $24+ for 2 sandwiches w/side and 2 sweet ice teas.
 
Tom Thumb :idontno:
 
There is no official traveling meals in the county that I know of that you see in other places (we called them roach coaches in Miami). I've seen a few, and a lot of regular cars with the trunks full of lunch. mostly the guys eat what every other construction worker eats.

I've always thought that you could open a mexican takeout and make a killing and have no shortage of help.
 
Most of the Mexican construction workers I see waiting for their rides to work brown bag it. Have you ever been to the store and been behind them in line. They do not buy junk. All meat and tortillas and vegetables galore to fix their own type of food. I have yet to see cookies and chips and other junk things we buy. You won't see much of that in their baskets.
 
I'd say they brown bag it. At least that's the way it works in Indiana, and it's probably not much different in SoWal. Last week when we had a new roof put on the crew of Mexican workers had lunch in our back driveway. I came out to bring them pitchers of water and fresh fruit, and was I ever jealous of the spread they had--burritos, tacos, salsa, gaucamole and chips and more. It looked so delicious!!! I cursed all the years I took French in high school and college. If I had taken Spanish, I could have asked to join lunch with those guys. Their food was miles better than what I was fixing for myself that day.
 
John said:
Ever been at the Grayton General Store at lunchtime?
No, do they have meals there? I always thought that place was a convenience store, but it would be a good spot to sell inexpensive quickie food.
 
Mermaid, a group of Mexicans did our roof several years ago. But believe it or not, they didn't brown bag it. We ended up picking up fast food bags out of our yard. You can eat plenty cheap at places like McDonald's and Wendy's, Krystal. And that is what they did. They went off and got lunch and came back within 30 minutes to an hour with take out.
 
kurt said:
There is no official traveling meals in the county that I know of that you see in other places (we called them roach coaches in Miami). I've seen a few, and a lot of regular cars with the trunks full of lunch. mostly the guys eat what every other construction worker eats.

I've always thought that you could open a mexican takeout and make a killing and have no shortage of help.

There ya go, Alli! Hablo Espanol? And, you could hire me and my Chipotle son! He makes a KILLER guac.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top