Not meaning any offenseSmiling JOe said:
But she always gave me the heebie geebies....
Can't say why....
I agree that asking someone "Como se llama" (and offering them "Me llamo" and your own name) is more personal than bringing up their country of origin, but I do like asking about a home country, I do it quite a bit, and usually the person, when asked, is happy to discuss it. It's part of who they are.Smiling JOe said:Preference of whom? Has anyone bothered to ask the Mexicans what name they prefer? Is lumping them into a wider spanning group for our benefit because we never bother to find out if they are from Peru, Mexico, etc? I have never never bothered to ask a "Latino" their country of origin, I just ask, Como se llamo? -- and I get the biggest smile and reply. Treating a person like a person is much more important than which generic group you label them.
My Dad always said he was only prejudiced against "obnoxious people".Cil said:....
I too have heard that Latino/Latina is the new accepted phrase. ...
Exactly--I agree. I remember when the American Indian organization in Denver released a statement saying that they prefer to be called Indians, not Native Americans. And the term African-American has had its ups and downs.Smiling JOe said:I have read several different posts stating the above. My question still remains -- accepted terms by whom? By Americans, Mexicans, Central Americans, journalist, media, etc? Just because we hear the media use a term, does it mean that the term is "acceptable" by everyone? It seems like we flip and flop at the drop of a dime as often as trends change in fashion.