• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WMF Exploit Warning

New posts

Beach Runner

beats on hood
All of my info tech people at the college where I'm a professor, as well as my husband's info tech people at a huge private corporation, say this is the real deal:

A newly discovered serious Windows exploit (WMF exploit) is threatening to infect your PC with viruses, trojans and other forms of attacks.

Details of the threat: Without getting too technical, this new vulnerability can make any picture or website a carrier for any malicious code that a hacker wishes to insert in your computer. This code could include any one of thousands of viruses, it can open a backdoor to your computer so that anyone can take control of it, it can delete your entire hard drive, etc.. The possibilities of the harm that it can deliver are limitless. If you download or open an infected picture, or you simply browse to the wrong website, your PC can be infected.

Who is Affected: Everyone. All versions of Windows are vulnerable to this particular kind of attack.

Is there a cure or patch for it? Not currently. A permanent fix will probably not be available from Microsoft until some time next week.

Can this infection be prevented? Yes. Below are outline several things that you can do to prevent your PC from being infected.

Only browse to trusted, reputable, business-related websites.

Do not open or view any mail attachments or links that you were not
expecting, regardless of the sender.

Do not open or download any pictures in any format (jpg, bmp, gif,
zip, etc.) unless the source of the picture is 100% reliable and this
is done for strictly business-related reasons.

Do not download any screen savers, wallpapers or themes.
 
Ocean Lover said:
I heard bits and peices about this on the news yesterday. Thanks for posting this information.
You're welcome.

Yeah, SJ, I wouldn't trust his boob photos. Might be a booby trap!

On the serious side, speaking of boobs, our doctor's wife died right before Christmas from a blood clot after having a boob job. She was 37 and left three children motherless.
 
Beach Runner said:
You're welcome.

Yeah, SJ, I wouldn't trust his boob photos. Might be a booby trap!

On the serious side, speaking of boobs, our doctor's wife died right before Christmas from a blood clot after having a boob job. She was 37 and left three children motherless.
Why some women want boob jobs I will never understand. Most men that I know like real boobs. Small boobs are always better than fake boobs, but this post is too much of a tangent from your original post, so I will stop here. Thanks for the warning of the potential problems. Please keep us posted when you hear about a fix to the potential hole.
 
Beach Runner said:
On the serious side, speaking of boobs, our doctor's wife died right before Christmas from a blood clot after having a boob job. She was 37 and left three children motherless.

That is so incredibly sad, but it never ceases to amaze me what people will do for vanity. So much so that they are willing to risk their lives in order to be more attractive. There's this "Plastic Surgery, Before and After" show on Discovery Health that I've watched on occasion, and I just can't get over how absolutely oblivious some of these people are to the risks. Yet more and more people seem to be jumping on the band wagon. There was one episode the other night where 4 women from one family all went for gastric bypass surgery and then 2 of them for full body lifts (leaving them with over 1000 stitches and the scars to go with) and boob jobs, etc., etc. One surgery led to another. And all I could think to myself was, one, couldn't they have tried to support each other through a sensible diet and exercize plan, and two, where do people get all the money to pay for these surgeries (they seemed to be from a working-class family in Pittsburgh.) Ok, I'm done ranting now - but again, how awful that 3 children are motherless because of this.
 
Beach Runner said:
You're welcome.

Yeah, SJ, I wouldn't trust his boob photos. Might be a booby trap!

On the serious side, speaking of boobs, our doctor's wife died right before Christmas from a blood clot after having a boob job. She was 37 and left three children motherless.


Oh how sad. I would think at age 37 you might be comfortable in your own skin by then. But maybe having 3 kids changed her body and she wanted it back the way it was before kids? :idontno:
 
Ocean Lover said:
Oh how sad. I would think at age 37 you might be comfortable in your own skin by then. But maybe having 3 kids changed her body and she wanted it back the way it was before kids? :idontno:

Or maybe her husband wanted the her old body back. :idontno: I'm a bit cynical- have heard too many men brag about their wives' boob jobs.


Thanks BR- we are on top of it I hope (Bdarg is the tech dude)
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top