• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

car crashes into Bay

New posts
I say I hate that bridge because I used to live in a cottage with a view of the thing, and can't tell you how many times I saw multitudes of flashing lights up there after a fatal or near fatal accident.

It's all well and good to drive the speed limit and not drive crazy, but you have no control over other motorists. Most of the fatalities are not the crazy drivers themselves, but the people they hit.

The bridge is poorly designed, and has a hugely disproportionate number of fatalities as a result. I don't see how we can blame that on the tourists.

Oh, and the local TV news reported this morning that the woman had been seen in the SHEC emergency room for a migraine just before the accident. My guess is she had either a flash of intense pain (maybe headlights from a passing car) or she fell asleep.

Hard to see straight with a migraine, and coming off of 'em is tough, too. I am in no way, shape, or form judging her or condemning her, but that will make me think twice about driving home with or after a migraine...

Y'all be careful out there, will you?
 
@sandy pants..the accident that you are speaking of was an elderly couple,correct? If it is the one I am thinking of they were hit head on by a drunk driver who was also killed in the accident. With his passengers being seriously injured.
 
Hard to see straight with a migraine, and coming off of 'em is tough, too. I am in no way, shape, or form judging her or condemning her, but that will make me think twice about driving home with or after a migraine...
I'm sure glad you aren't judging her, because if the ER releases you in the middle of the night, what are you going to do? I know, call somebody, but maybe she didn't have anyone to call. The list of people I would call in the middle of the night for something I sure didn't think would kill me is very, very short.
 
Reason #4,067 why they need to accelerate the construction of a 4 lane 331! Much harder to have a head on collision when there's no oncoming traffic.

Considering the poor woman had a 10 year old with her for a predawn ER visit, I'd say her support system was limited. :(

You find out very quickly who your TRUE friends are when you need things like a ride home from the ER at 4am!

Last time I was in the ER I called a friend in case they needed to drug me. Her husband didn't understand why I didn't just call a cab (neither of us like him very much).
 
I'm sure glad you aren't judging her, because if the ER releases you in the middle of the night, what are you going to do? I know, call somebody, but maybe she didn't have anyone to call. The list of people I would call in the middle of the night for something I sure didn't think would kill me is very, very short.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe there were people who would have gladly come to pick her up, but in the middle of the night with a migraine and a child, you don't want to bother anyone, and you don't want to take a cab because you'll have to come get the car...
 
Reason #4,067 why they need to accelerate the construction of a 4 lane 331! Much harder to have a head on collision when there's no oncoming traffic.

Considering the poor woman had a 10 year old with her for a predawn ER visit, I'd say her support system was limited. :(

You find out very quickly who your TRUE friends are when you need things like a ride home from the ER at 4am!

Last time I was in the ER I called a friend in case they needed to drug me. Her husband didn't understand why I didn't just call a cab (neither of us like him very much).

It's amazing to think how many people either don't have anyone or at least think that they don't.

About 10 years ago my parents were in a midnight head-on collision in a northern suburb of Atlanta. My mother was taken to the nearest hospital, but my father was airlifted to Grady in downtown Atlanta. My brother called me to tell me he was headed to Grady and for me to go see about Mom. By then it was 1 a.m., and I had literally been up since the wee hours with a long work/rehearsal schedule. I burst into hysterics and told him I was in no shape to drive to Atlanta. He said that I had to go, to suck it up and call one of my nearest and dearest. If it weren't for that direct order from my big bossy brother, I would have jumped in the car and driven my delirious, severely sleep-deprived, hysterical self to Alpharetta.

I was embarrassed to do it, but I followed his advice, and she and her roommate were at my house before I could even think about it. We didn't make it home with Mom (who was treated and released) until about 8 the next morning, but both of my friends were so gracious.

For some reason I was thinking about it only yesterday. It still embarrasses me that I called them in hysterics in the middle of the night and kept them in a waiting room until dawn, but they made it crystal clear that that's what friends are for.

I'm always hearing that I should count my blessings, but I'm afraid it involves math that is way over my head. :wub:
 
They made it crystal clear that that's what friends are for.

I'm always hearing that I should count my blessings, but I'm afraid it involves math that is way over my head. :wub:

My new signature quote!

Someone once told me: "Yes, it's inconvenient to come pick you up, but it would be WAY more inconvenient to have to go to your funeral." :wub:
 
We crossed that bridge around 1:45 a.m. that morning driving down from St. Louis. It was extremely foggy, but I didn't hear any mention of that possibly being a factor.
 
I have an update about her children. Three of them go to Butler and 1 goes to ECMS. They are living with their Grandmother (Sonya) here in SRB. A number of people at Butler are providing meals to the family and there has been a fund set up for the children.

Please help in any way you can. PM me if you wish to deliver meals and I will get you in touch with someone who is coordinating it.

I was blessed enough to be able to deliver a meal tonight and spoke with Sonya. She is a lovely woman who lost her only daughter (she has 2 sons) and now has the task of raising her grandchildren. My heart goes out to all of them.

I am going to make another post about this on its own thread also.

Here is part of an email about it:

I spoke with Sonya yesterday evening. and she did get an account set up at People's First Community Bank. The name is: "Shanna Day Childrens Benefit Fund". There will be something in the NWF Daily News this weekend.

If you are still interested in helping with food, I know she would appreciate it. Sonya is on disability now, and is still trying to wrap her mind around all of this. She is very appreciative of any help.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top