• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Conch Out Paint Test Winners

New posts

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Conch Out is "having her colors done" beginning April 22 and finishing by mid-May, weather permitting. The boom (instead of scaffolding) will be up during that time, so please excuse our messy contribution to the views from the water's edge. We selected a palette that is reflective of the natural elements that we love most about Grayton and South Walton, in general. These are a light toasty tan for the walls (sea oats); Chardonnay white trim (we couldn't resist, plus our white sand); a teal blue/bottle green blend (combination of the water colors) for the French doors; and a teal blue tinge added to the stain/sealant for the decks and pool fence. The colors will be subtle and, we believe, will weather well and withstand the elements. The palette is actually a combination of suggestions we had from the following.

aquaticbioloty: first to mention white (sand) and green/brown (sea oats)
toofartampa: teal and the water color
mermaid: the Chardonnay white, pigmented stain, and general great effort
(Thanks for the great palattes you mailed and I am still looking for
that rug!)
johnrudy: bottle green of the water
sueshore: white trim and recommendation of keeping the palette "soft"
similingjoe: warning us off "ladders" (scaffolding) and no one can jump off a
boom into the pool---you just might have saved lives!
kurt: the blue from the SoWal stickers (is actually the color one has to add to
the stain/sealant in order to get the right "blush"
peapod: for spelling "palette" right and reminding us that this is also about
our palates!
shelly: for giving us the idea to paint this year---after reading your posts,
we decided that when times are tough, one should paint the barn!

So the big challenge is to figure out when we can get such a diverse group together. We will be at Conch Out for two weeks in October. Would love to hear from any of you who can rendevouz during that time. We will be having a larger dinner than originally anticipated, but will invite all of the above. If I have left someone out, in spite of rereading all the posts concerning the Paint Test, please send me a PM so I can correct the list. Thanks, everyone. This was fun and so helpful in helping us sort out our thoughts and preferences. Miss Conch Out will be ready for her close-up in time for summer. :clap_1:
 
Good job, Donna! It sounds like a wonderful combination of colors. About the rug picture I sent you--I'm pretty sure the catalog I got it from was "Decorator's" something or other. One of those ubiquitous catalogs that you probably get, just like us. :roll:

We'll miss you in April, but count on seeing us in October, for sure. Oh, and we'll be at the beach in June with jdarg and peapod so we'll all send in a first hand report for you. Peapod naturally will have the best view of the beautified Conch Out, being next door! :clap_1:
 
Mermaid said:
Good job, Donna! It sounds like a wonderful combination of colors. About the rug picture I sent you--I'm pretty sure the catalog I got it from was "Decorator's" something or other. One of those ubiquitous catalogs that you probably get, just like us. :roll:

We'll miss you in April, but count on seeing us in October, for sure. Oh, and we'll be at the beach in June with jdarg and peapod so we'll all send in a first hand report for you. Peapod naturally will have the best view of the beautified Conch Out, being next door! :clap_1:
Is it Home Decorators, maybe? They have really great rugs. We used to get a 40% discount there because Mr. Pod sold art to them, but no longer! :(
 
Donna said:
peapod: for spelling "palette" right and reminding us that this is also about
our palates!
So the big challenge is to figure out when we can get such a diverse group together. We will be at Conch Out for two weeks in October. Would love to hear from any of you who can rendevouz during that time.
:lolabove: Oh, I love it--I won not for my color palette itself but for being able to spell it!!! Who cares why, the bottom line is, color me there!
 
peapod1980 said:
Is it Home Decorators, maybe? They have really great rugs. We used to get a 40% discount there because Mr. Pod sold art to them, but no longer! :(

Good job, Percy! I knew someone out there would be able to figure out which catalog I was talking about. And you can spell, too. ;-)
 
Thanks Donna, and great job on your final selection. It sounds as though you will have a nicely colored house. I cannot wait for the dinner, as I think the dinner guests sound like a fantastic mix of people. I hope everyone on the list can attend. I will take some photos of "The" Conch Out as it progresses through its change of skin, and post them for all to see. :clap_1:
 
Smiling JOe said:
Thanks Donna, and great job on your final selection. It sounds as though you will have a nicely colored house. I cannot wait for the dinner, as I think the dinner guests sound like a fantastic mix of people. I hope everyone on the list can attend. I will take some photos of "The" Conch Out as it progresses through its change of skin, and post them for all to see. :clap_1:

I take this to mean you're going to buy a new camera for yourself! :clap_1:
 
:clap_1: Oh Donna....you are so generous to include me in the winner's circle!!!! We are all winners, but the Grand Prize will go to Miss Conch Out....she will be a KNOCK OUT!!!!

You know I will be there in October! I would be honored to attend. I even wash dishes!!! Especially for some of those dark chocolate caramels with sea salt!!!!

SJ....does this mean you will be getting a new camera soon? WHEW....I was having withdrawal symptoms already! Your idea of following the progress has just about brought me to tears....WE ARE FAMILY!!!!
 
I can't believe I'm in. This is going to sound pathetic, but I've neer won anything in my life! :floor:
The color combination sounds beautiful. I might possibly be able to swing down for an October weekend. It would be wonderful to meet everyone for such an occasion. :wub:

Donna, this was such a great idea. Everyone wins!
 
Ok, I didn't have a dog in this race. However, I can serve you guys. I will be your bartender, and Donna, I will clean up afterwards!!!! Just to be there!!! :biggrin:

Just kidding of course. Congratulations to all the winners!!!! Have a great time. :clap_1:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top