• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
dbuck said:
Ok, you have my permission to toss it.
Thanks, but another point of mine is, should I have to ask permission? And who has the aurthority to answer?

dbuck, I was thinking about the advice you gave to your kids, about not taking stuff which isn't theirs. Great teaching, but I do wonder who will be left keeping the world looking beautiful, by cleaning up others' crap. Just goes to show that a well-intended belief, doesn't have to apply universally. ;-)
 
Smiling JOe said:
..the advice you gave to your kids, about not taking stuff which isn't theirs. Great teaching..
The definition of "junk"....stuff that has been abandoned by the owner. Without ownership the "stuff" becomes garbage in the public domain.
No pilfering here..just social awarness. No permission needed.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Thanks, but another point of mine is, should I have to ask permission? And who has the aurthority to answer?

dbuck, I was thinking about the advice you gave to your kids, about not taking stuff which isn't theirs. Great teaching, but I do wonder who will be left keeping the world looking beautiful, by cleaning up others' crap. Just goes to show that a well-intended belief, doesn't have to apply universally. ;-)
SJ, BREATHE, we can only do so much in this world, and we have to do the things for which we feel the most passion. Litter is not a new item on the agenda. We have to do our part and the part for one other person, because we KNOW that it makes no difference to some, we can't change that, we can only educate people. Before I found this site, I was totally ignorant on the proper care for dunes, but now I know, so education does help. We really are ALL in this together.
But, I have to totally disagree with you on the well-intended belief statement. Honestly, you don't want to get me started on "justified behavior." Just because a person feels justified doing something, doesn't make it right, I could write a book on this, but it does make fascinating discussion. You are a wonderful person, I can tell. Just continue what you are doing by educating and by setting a good example, that really does change the world, one person at a time.
 
Thanks for the kind words, dbuck.

FYI to all of you who have hairs raised on your backs about me stating that I will remove items left on the beach -- relax a little bit, but only a little bit. I am serious, but if I were truly evil, you wouldn't see the kayak, umbrellas, tents, chairs, etc behind the abondoned tent in my above photo, because they have left their crap out overnight, every night, since they arrived. My goal is to educate, and if it takes stirring up some thoughts in your heads, so be it. If that doesn't work, I may have to resort to relocating all of your crap to the steps of the Courthouse, where you can collect it. That would make a statement. I bet that I could block all the entrances to the building with cheap beach crap -- every day. :blink:
 
SJ, I am with you on the removal of the crap. It is such an eyesore to see all that stuff when you get up early in the morning and go down to the beach. I alway's think of all the sea turtles that might have had to maneuver around all that SHI** just to find a place to lay her eggs. It is so sad to me.
 
kathydwells said:
SJ, I am with you on the removal of the crap. It is such an eyesore to see all that stuff when you get up early in the morning and go down to the beach. I alway's think of all the sea turtles that might have had to maneuver around all that SHI** just to find a place to lay her eggs. It is so sad to me.

I understand what you are saying about the crap being an eyesore, however, that part I could care less about. The part I am concerned is that, when abandoned, the crap often becomes partially buried, potentially being a hazard to people walking on the beach. I find tent stakes, and rusted metal pieces of chairs on occasion. Once a tent canvas is burried, it is nearly impossible to remove by hand. Ask Sunshine. I have seen her tugging without success on the same canopy which I tried to remove days prior. Note, when left overnight, or even unattended in the day time, which I see often, wind will pick up the tents and send them flying. :eek: Look out kids!!! The owners probably never find them when they are submerged in the lake or hidden in the dunes.

My other reasons for objecting are that they items are dangerous when walking on the beach after sunset, just like the holes which people are digging without filling back in. When the day comes that I twist my ankle from stepping in one of these, look out! I will be mad. I have fallen in the craters before, and I can tell you, that had people done the right thing, that wouldn't have happened. I am in good physical health, but what about those beach-goers who are not? In addition to the items and holes being hazardous to people, they also obstruct the Sea Turtles from nesting on the beaches. One canopy may have up to 12 string with anchors holding it in place. How would you like to be a turtle, on land, tangled up in crap or stuck in a big-@ss hole?

So, my objections are not based on the looks of the crap, but rather, they are based on the effects the crap has on the environment and the people.
 
dsilvar said:
The definition of "junk"....stuff that has been abandoned by the owner. Without ownership the "stuff" becomes garbage in the public domain.
No pilfering here..just social awarness. No permission needed.
:clap_1: There ya go!
.
 
How about printing some tags and attaching them to items you see left on the beach? I will leave it up to you what the tags would say. I imagine we could all come up with something educational and insulting at the same time!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top