• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Crap on the beach

New posts
Smiling JOe said:
I truely want to hear from those silent people who object to what my opinion on tents, chairs, sunscreen, towels, blankets, toys, etc being left on the beach overnight, sometimes for a week or more. At what point should it be considered abandoned? Anyone?:idontno:

I've been quiet about this because I can honestly say I have never seen this. Do you see this more at Grayton Beach than you do at Seagrove or Dune Allen? I don't take anything but chairs and umbrellas to the beach, which I take back at night. But honestly, and this is just me, I would never feel right by taking someone else's property, especially when it is left overnight. I have always tried to teach my son (1) if it doesn't have your name on it; (2) if you didn't buy it; (3) if someone didn't give it to you then it's not yours, so keep your hands off. That being said, you are there daily and I would think that if you have seen abandoned tents and such, that after a weeks time, then they could be hauled off. BUT, I don't live there, so I don't see this daily. I'm sure it's one of those things that could really get under your skin after a while. Hope I didn't make you mad. This is just my opinion.
 
dbuck said:
I've been quiet about this because I can honestly say I have never seen this. Do you see this more at Grayton Beach than you do at Seagrove or Dune Allen? I don't take anything but chairs and umbrellas to the beach, which I take back at night. But honestly, and this is just me, I would never feel right by taking someone else's property, especially when it is left overnight. I have always tried to teach my son (1) if it doesn't have your name on it; (2) if you didn't buy it; (3) if someone didn't give it to you then it's not yours, so keep your hands off. That being said, you are there daily and I would think that if you have seen abandoned tents and such, that after a weeks time, then they could be hauled off. BUT, I don't live there, so I don't see this daily. I'm sure it's one of those things that could really get under your skin after a while. Hope I didn't make you mad. This is just my opinion.

I think you sound like you are teaching your kids good values, and I appreciate your input.
 
At what point is "stuff" abandoned? Well, this is the way I'm going to approach it from now on. If I go for a sunset walk along the beach--or even a moonlit walk--and I see something that ought not be there, I'm going to draw a circle in the sand around it. If that circle's still there 24 hours later, unbroken, it's mine to keep (if I like it) or mine to deposit by the trash bin. I figure if someone is so uncaring of their property that they leave it there for the turtles and people to trip over, well, fair's fair in my books. It might be missing the next time they check.
 
Smiling JOe said:
... tents, chairs, sunscreen, towels, blankets, toys, etc being left on the beach overnight, sometimes for a week or more. At what point should it be considered abandoned? Anyone?:idontno:
I feel compelled to jump in here...first I agree with your proactive approach to dealing with beach junk...and that what it is..junk..not only to the people who put it there and refuse to remove it but to all of us who have to deal with walking around semi buried chairs, frames, shoes, beer bottles cigarette butts, pop cans, clothes, fast food containers, condoms, partially inflated toys, etc ad nausem.

Object to your approach? when you are doing all of us a favor? naw!

What I cannot understand is what part of ones brain has to cease for one to deface so willingly such a beautiful part of God's creation?
 
Mermaid said:
At what point is "stuff" abandoned? Well, this is the way I'm going to approach it from now on. If I go for a sunset walk along the beach--or even a moonlit walk--and I see something that ought not be there, I'm going to draw a circle in the sand around it. If that circle's still there 24 hours later, unbroken, it's mine to keep (if I like it) or mine to deposit by the trash bin. I figure if someone is so uncaring of their property that they leave it there for the turtles and people to trip over, well, fair's fair in my books. It might be missing the next time they check.

I like the circle in the sand idea. :clap_1: Maybe we could get little flags to stick in the circle that says pending disposal!
 
P8130001_501399.JPG


So someone please tell me when this becomes garbage. For the last few days, I have been giving some of you the benefit of the doubt, but now I am just trying to prove my point. The upside-down tent, pictured above, has been in this same position for the last three days. Who is supposed to clean it up? The owners? -- yeah, right. :floor:
 
Smiling JOe said:
The upside-down tent, pictured above, has been in this same position for the last three days. Who is supposed to clean it up? The owners? -- yeah, right. :floor:

The owners are back "up north" packing the kiddies lunch for school tomorrow.

SJ: Do you remember a time when we didn't have all this "junk" on our beaches? It seems like so long ago--but I do remember when this wasn't an issue (or was that a dream?). :idontno:
 
Smiling JOe said:
So someone please tell me when this becomes garbage. For the last few days, I have been giving some of you the benefit of the doubt, but now I am just trying to prove my point. The upside-down tent, pictured above, has been in this same position for the last three days. Who is supposed to clean it up? The owners? -- yeah, right. :floor:

I can understand how some visitors may not be aware of the rules prohibiting leaving crap on the beach overnight but this instance is someone just being plain lazy. I can see where this is frustrating to a local. It is a shame that someone has to clean up after these losers.
 
I have a five dollar bill that says that particular tent is still on the beach this morning, and that tent will not be alone.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top