• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Does anyone actually believe the TSA?

New posts
It would be a bleak world of old men sipping prune juice while grumpily complaining that prune juice was far better in their bygone youth.
 
It would be a bleak world of old men sipping prune juice while grumpily complaining that prune juice was far better in their bygone youth.

Doug, that about sums up your Friday evenings. You're one wild and crazy guy intrepid one.
 
Air Travell with Kids..

cavityimage001-183.jpg


This poster comes from a nice blog post from Australia on why no one should travel to the US with kids.
 
You're one of the few then. Most of my fellow air travelers need a variety of electronics, candy and clothing for that quick up and down from ATL to PCB. For this, I thank you. :-)

As I fly with tools that cannot be carried on, I check all my bags, and only take on the plane with me a set of Bose headphones (to drown out the crying child who I seem to attract like a magnet), and a lumbar pillow for my lower back. I'll never get back all the time spent waiting for the amateurs to fumble their luggage in and out of the overheads.

I've become a very grumpy air traveler, and as I said before, none of it's due to the TSA. My fellow air travelers are far, far worse. I would let the TSA do surgery on me in trade for being able to fly without kids under about 12, and the promise of being able to plane and deplane in under 2 minutes.

Good news though, new job, new place in Blue Mountain, and no more flying cept for the once a year trip back up North to see mom and dad. Living in paradise, there's not much reason to travel anymore!

I don't have a carry-on because I need toys or accessories, 90% of the bag is items that I cannot check due to theft or items for my comfort/health that the airline does not provide and that I actually need during travel.

One free checked bag, fewer lost bags, and the airlines providing amenities again would go a long way in reducing the congestion.

Definitely agree that most people take way too much stuff on planes and can't move too quickly as a result.
 
Last edited:
I'll sum up air travel in my situation. At one time I flew for a living, loved it. Today, I won't get on an aircraft unless it is an absolute necessity. It has become the ultimate hassle as far as I'm concerned. Basically, I agree with all of the above.
 
I've been flying commercial airlines since 1964 and pretty much all of my adult life and I've got the lifetime multi-million miles status that goes with it.

Even with status, flying nowadays has gotten to the point of being almost unbearable.

If a trip lasts longer than a day and I can drive it in under 7 hours, I don't fly. I've just spent $70k putting in a High Def video conferencing solution throughout the company so that people don't have to fly,

While there is a lot to be said for sitting across the table from someone, the video helps and there is also a lot to be said for not wasting countless hundreds of hours waiting in lines, sitting in lounges and stuck on runways. Avoiding inexperienced flyers, wailing children, jackbooted TSA thugs and potentially bedbug infested hotel rooms are just additional benefits.

I long for the day when I have no need of business travel.
 
Ditto - I only fly because I have to. The surly "greyhound of the skies" that is the current norm of airline travel is one of the reasons I am so PRO train travel.

And it must be said that the behavior and rudeness of our fellow travelers is one of the things that has made airline travel so frustrating and unpleasant.

Though the attitude and behavior of the airlines and staff is also a HUGE factor. It's pretty amazing to see how differently different airlines/staff handle things and what a huge difference it makes in the results.................and their bottom lines.
 
Last edited:
Jane Hamsher has a nice rundown on how we got the "show me your junk" full-body airport scanners ? and who benefits (my emphasis):
This goes to show just how how constant threats of ?terror? are used to create new markets for products nobody needs. The public is then intimidated into compliance in the name of ?national security,? when in reality they?re sacrificing their dignity, their civil liberties and their tax dollars for the sake of enormous profits:

2005: Michael Chertoff, as head of Homeland Security, orders the first batch of porno scanners from a company called Rapiscan Systems. After his departure, Chertoff gave dozens of interviews using his government credentials to promote the device. What he didn?t tell people was that Rapiscan was one of the clients of his consulting company, The Chertoff group.​
Jane continues the tale nicely. Once Chertoff got Rapiscan's foot in the door, it was just a matter of expanding (and funding) the program. That opportunity was provided by the Christmas 2009 underpants bomber ? and by most Americans' susceptibility to fear, of course. ( Michael Chertoff, was head of Homeland Security under Bush.)

Which is what the TSA junk-groping is about. By making the groping as intolerable as possible, the herd will be more willing to walk through the machines. Sounds like we're going to need more of them.

Yes, ultimately this is a story about money, with similarities to the Prisons-for-Profit story in Arizona. And ground zero is Michael Chertoff, moving from head of Homeland Security to head of his own security consulting firm, then converting his former DHS vendor into his current DHS consulting client, and continuing to flog their goods to a government eager to buy his cred and their products.

Quid pro quo: your tax dollars at work. From your pocket to Chertoff's, with a detour at the Rapiscan cash register. To put it simply, your junk being groped so Chertoff and his friends can make money.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top