• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Driving On The Beach

New posts
I understand, and see that it is getting off topic. Back to driving on the Beach. Good topic, by the way.
Its just another hijacked thread..........

A possible way to cut down on traffic on Grayton Beach is to limit permits to homesteaded property owners.........
 
Last edited:
Not to hijack this further, but I'd never seen Kristi's quote from Mother Teresa. It is as honest a quote from her that I've seen. Her hunger for personal appreciation was far more than her hunger for bread for those she purported to help.

Sorry guys - I'll let you get back to the sea turtle talk. They are delicious in soup.
 
A possible way to cut down on traffic on Grayton Beach is to limit permits to homesteaded property owners.........

That is an idea that I, too, have thought about. However, I have a difficult time with the part about having to own. I know that current rules also require ownership of land, but what about the person that rents here and lives here year round? Though, I'm not sure that would help things out as it may increase more vehicles on the beach, too. Maybe the homestead property owners would be the way to go. It would at least be a good start, and I guarantee you that we would have less vehicles on the beach. In the summer, it gets a little overwhelming.
 
That is an idea that I, too, have thought about. However, I have a difficult time with the part about having to own. I know that current rules also require ownership of land, but what about the person that rents here and lives here year round? Though, I'm not sure that would help things out as it may increase more vehicles on the beach, too. Maybe the homestead property owners would be the way to go. It would at least be a good start, and I guarantee you that we would have less vehicles on the beach. In the summer, it gets a little overwhelming.

Walton County rules requiring property ownership to access a public beach are unconstitutional pure and simple. The same for the rules for dog permits. You can not make residency a requirement in your county to access public facilities. You could justify some sort of cost differential but otherwise you are ignoring the 14th amendment. Now trying to find someone to do something about it is another story in itself.
 
Interesting point, waltondude. Are you basing that on the 14th Amendment's Section 1, which provides for equal protection of the laws?
 
Walton County rules requiring property ownership to access a public beach are unconstitutional pure and simple. The same for the rules for dog permits. You can not make residency a requirement in your county to access public facilities. You could justify some sort of cost differential but otherwise you are ignoring the 14th amendment. Now trying to find someone to do something about it is another story in itself.

:rofl:

Who is being denied access?

Everybody has access to the beach at Grayton, but some folks have to walk and leave Fido at home.
 
:rofl:

Who is being denied access?

Everybody has access to the beach at Grayton, but some folks have to walk and leave Fido at home.

:clap: ...I :wub: you!!!! Leave my dog out of this! Can you even imagine if everyone and his dog could walk on the beach????? Forget the other CRAP...this would be literal!!!! :blink:
 
As a native of Walton County and now an absentee owner at Grayton, I have mixed feelings on this topic. On the one hand, on a beach that is a protected biota habitat, driving seems at cross purposes. Then again, the area where driving can occur is such a confined one (with state parks anchoring either end) that potential damage is contained and fairly obvious to those in the know. The flip side of this issue is consideration of the reasons that driving is still allowed at Grayton. The first is that sunset worshipers are a tradition at Grayton and wouldn't we all miss the tailgate happy hours and beach picnics? Plus, there are a few commercial fishing interests that rely on that beach area for launching of their charter fishing boats. I know they are experiencing economic constraints and increasing competition from other charters. Should we look out for these locals?

As for dogs and as a dog owner, I just make a point to take Butter out during the times dogs are allowed. Dogs are a bad mix with sea birds and turtle eggs. Plus, I remember a time when dogs roamed unleashed on Grayton Beach and still remember watching two German shepherds attack my younger brother on the beach. It is a small price to pay, folks. And I am still distressed at how few people bother to pick up waste after their dogs. Miss Kitty, we should form a poop brigade.

So my take is that the existing and controlled level of driving on Grayton Beach is not harmful enough to justify disrupting a beloved tradition and the livelihoods of local fisherman. And that dogs on the beach have to be minimized/controlled in some manner, so what better way than confining this to certain hours and to homeowners? As you would expect, I don't think this should be homestead owners only, because absentee owners have their dogs down there for such a short time and because we are paying much, much higher taxes than homestead folks. Seems only fair.

These are good subjects for this forum.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top