• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Eastern Lake is open!!!

New posts
I actually have video of this on my phone, but again, I have no idea how to upload it :idontno:

I can help! ;-)

WOW is right! By the time gttbm and I arrive on the scene, the lake water was still rushing, but I can't believe how deep it became...I think it must have been a 4 foot drop off! Thanks for the pics...I feel so lucky to have seen this in person! :clap:
 
Can someone clue me in. Was the pass being closed caused by humans or did it occur naturally. I heard...that a particular landowner caused the closier when he re-nurished his stretch of beach. I go to this stretch of beach almost daily and keep hearing the same story.

I'm just wondering, I like to know the facts not the rumors.
 
All things with time. There were many people who stated that Worth Williams had caused the Lake to be unable to open without Man interfering, but now we see differently. You cannot stop Mother Nature from doing her thing, if you just give her time. She works on her own schedule, not ours. I bet we also see seawalls falling down in the future.
 
Eastern and Western Lake open when they feel like as SJ said. Some locals have taken it upon themselves to help at times,but when it is all said and done...when the lake gets full it will drain itself. And trying to help things just makes it worse. Mother Nature will take the path of least resistance and if your house or seawall or renourished beach is in the way......she will kindly say "OOPS".
 
Very interesting. Will it close back up just as quick if she feels like it?:blink:
Yes it will. As soon as the water level is equal to the gulf the sand will deposit there again and it will be closed until the next time the lake gets full.
 
this is a pic of Western Lake draining at Grayton during Hurricane Dennis.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top