• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Eastern Lake is open!!!

New posts
I hate that we missed it..one of our favorite events!!! Has anyone else noticed how low Draper Lake has become or know the reason why?
 
Western Lake is as full as a tick.
Well it wont be long before it decides to get rid of a few fish and gallons of water at the same time. *gets crab nets ready*:biggrin:
 
I heard Draper opened last thursday or friday. That may be why it is so low. Those Eastern pics are great!! To bad Western didn't open during the Back to Nature Kayak tour, looks like we were on the wrong lake :)
 
Hooray! The lake opened all on its own, without interference from man, at no cost to taxpayers, just as it has for many centuries. What a beautiful thing!

The scientists who study the lakes said all along that there was no cause for concern at Eastern Lake, and that the lake would naturally connect again to the Gulf when we received sufficient rainfall to overcome two years of extreme drought that kept lake levels low. Many thanks to our Walton County commissioners who eventually heard the scientists and were reluctant to jump to any rash decisions to interfere with the natural ways of the Lake.
 
Eastern Lake isn't flowing anymore, but it's really close to being able to break out again. Another rain would probably start it up again.
 
Although Eastern Lake isn't flowing, you can now see this interesting little sandbar that has formed just west of the outfall. It probably won't last long. This is the first time I've seen this happen in the 3 1/2 years I've lived near the lake.

EasternLakeSandbar071027.JPG
 
:yikes:We were there when it happened also. It appeared that the people in the house next to where we were staying were helping the breach along with the handle of a dip net. I was amazed at the sight - and I wish I had known that I was there with some of my SoWal friends!

Did anyone witness the water spout in the ocean on the 18th? Scared the bejeebies out of me, as it appeared to be heading straight for our fourth floor, glass-fronted window!!

Enjoyed your pix beachluvr. We stayed at the same place and for a few of the same days.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top