• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Enforcement for remove it or lose it?

New posts
Seems pretty cut and dried to me - endangered species are in trouble, there's local support, and other places in Florida already have similar legislation.

HELLO local gov't!!! :wave:
 
Seems pretty cut and dried to me - endangered species are in trouble, there's local support, and other places in Florida already have similar legislation.

HELLO local gov't!!! :wave:


Maybe some fear "Endangered Profits." Gawd forbid we should pizz off some of our 'entitled' cash cows.

.
 
I'm pretty sure there is a turtle lighting ordinance. Neighbors had to get their exterior lighting plans & fixtures approved by the DEP.
 
SJ, there is no existing turtle lighting ordinance.
oops. I was referring to camping items left on the beach.

I am totally lost on the lighting ordinance, if one exists. I attended a BCC meeting about a year ago, where they were adopting a lighting ordinance, but there was a great deal of issue as to how it would be enforced, and it was already sounding like a nightmare regarding enforcement, since Code Enforcement would have to investigate any calls. Obviously, the lights would be a problem only at night, and Code Enforcement doesn't work at night, so they were suggesting that one CE officer remain on call. If a phone call came in on lighting violation, that officer would drive down (probably from Defuniak Springs), and investigate with his light-meter. If there was no violation, the BCC was suggesting that the person reporting the problem being fined after a second call-in. :yikes: blah, blah, blah.

I thought they had passed the ordinance, but it was all very vague as to the enforcement. Maybe they just tabled it until they could decide how to properly enforce it.

The DEP or DFW has laws governing the Sea Turtles and crap on the beach. The County also has ordinance against camping on the beach. Camping doesn't necessarily mean sleeping over night. Establishing a campsite -- eg - tent and chairs, should be enough to cover that base.
 
I'm pretty sure there is a turtle lighting ordinance. Neighbors had to get their exterior lighting plans & fixtures approved by the DEP.
The DEP has jurisdiction at the CCCL for new construction and for substantial remodels. Everything in those categories should have turtle friendly lights. But there is no local turtle lighting ordinance that addresses existing beachfront properties or properties in the second, third and further back tiers that impact the beach. I know this sounds confusing so here is an example. The Seagrove Villas. They have been there a long time, do not have turtle friendly lights and are not required to. If Nature Walk had proceeded and torn down the Villas, the replacement would be required by DEP to have turtle lights. But not required to by the county. And the DEP's jurisdiction stops at the CCCL.
Does this help?
 
I attended a BCC meeting about a year ago, where they were adopting a lighting ordinance,
I'm pretty sure this was the other lighting ordinance, the one that deals with light trespass, glare, uplighting, etc. The county chose to consider these issues seperate from the turtle lighting ordinance.
 
I thought you were probably referring just to stuff on the beach, but it sort of sounded like it might mean turtle lighting too, because the thread had drifted on to endangered species.
 
We usually pick up whatever trash is left around the Inlet Beach access and either give it to the Cty guys who patrol or heap it by the garbage can, but I seem to incur the wrath of whatever group is renting or even owners with beachfront property when I suggest they 1) fill in the damn holes they dig, or 2) take down that ugly canopy at night, or 3) drop the volleyball net since no one has played in three days. Maybe it's my face or my voice, but I usually get some pretty nasty rejections. Please, please get something with teeth in it before we are overwhelmed by this unsightly garbage/trash/beach paraphenalia.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top