• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite Cookbooks

New posts
Our Darlington???

Even if not, that would still be pretty cool to have. I love to collect church cookbooks, and also I MUST have the Southern Living Cookbook each year. I have each one from 1990 forward, with the exception of 2003 & 2004. But I will get those.

Not that any of them do me any good. I just like to have them. :blush:

You just need to bring your clan to my house, even if I am by myself, I am cooking something, or my mother is cooking next door. 10 to 12 people for dinner is nothing!
 
14961007.JPG

my newest cookbook. the recipes are simple, healthy and look absolutely wonderful. there are several I've seen so far that I can't wait to try.
 
Our Darlington???

Even if not, that would still be pretty cool to have. I love to collect church cookbooks, and also I MUST have the Southern Living Cookbook each year. I have each one from 1990 forward, with the exception of 2003 & 2004. But I will get those.

Not that any of them do me any good. I just like to have them. :blush:

Bayou Cuisine...was given to me as a wedding gift (the 1st wedding, been several since)..it is old southern cooking..the mexican cornbread recipe is to die for. Have the 1981 Southern Living and love it! And...I started my own cookbook of family favorites of mine and other families as well as recipes I've stolen or discovered over the years. I put the recipes in a leather bound (leather is covered w/ plastic, easy to clean) photo albumn.

I too have many of the SL cookbooks. My mother collected all the years until she died. I have collected some of the years since. They do have some of the best recipes.

And, sgg, I did the same thing for my family a few years ago for Christmas. They loved them!
 
20889856.JPG
Great service organization cookbook. I've depended on it for all 26 years of marriage.

Oh, and I can't forget about The Stuffed Griffin -- The greatest cookbook of all time!! It's from my hometown and it's always fun to pull it out and cook something that "Hal's Mom" or "Anna's Aunt" use to make. It's really more about a trip down memory lane. . . .

By far the greatest!!! AmeliaJ, how in the world did you find that pic to post????!!!!! I also rely on Better Homes and Gardens. However, I have moved into the age of the internet. My absolutely favorite and most used resource is www.allrecipes.com
 
20889856.JPG
Great service organization cookbook. I've depended on it for all 26 years of marriage.

:clap::clap::clap:

I collect Junior League cookbooks from all over, and (well, it's called the Utility Club, but I think it's pretty close) this it the best one ever.

A bunch of my cookbooks were under a window that leaked wind driven rain during Katrina, and the Stuffed Griffin among others had some nasty looking mold. I was so upset. I went through them all and chose to salvage just three -- The Stuffed Griffin, The River Cafe (where Jamie Oliver worked and copied most of his recipes from...if you like the Naked Chef, order the gorgeous River Cafe books.... http://www.amazon.com/River-Cafe-Cookbook-Ruth-Rogers/dp/0091812550/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208143986&sr=8-1)
and Talk About Good! it's basically the Cajun Bible. Given that I had to Clorox, wipe down with alcohol, leave in the sun, and iron these cookbooks, trust me when I say they are staples in a good kitchen.

My favorite cookbook right now is Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-City-Cooking-Unforgettable-Recipes/dp/1400043891/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208144222&sr=1-1 I can't even begin to tell you how good this book is. Susan Spicer's restaurant, Bayona, is one of my two favorites in New Orleans. Her food is rich without being heavy. It's just really fresh and flavorful. The crazy thing is, the cookbook shows that the food is pretty simple, too. It's just that she uses some great flavor combinations. She also is pretty frugal about ingredients, and tells you when olive oil will do over extra virgin olive oil, and recommends cheeses other than parmesan reggiano. It's a great cookbook. I could live off her Green Rice recipe.
 
Last edited:
Cook book??? I don't need no stinkin' cook book, :lie: J/K :biggrin:
I have several, but not any specific one. I love to go to the internet for recipes!
 
:clap::clap::clap:

I collect Junior League cookbooks from all over, and (well, it's called the Utility Club, but I think it's pretty close) this it the best one ever.

A bunch of my cookbooks were under a window that leaked wind driven rain during Katrina, and the Stuffed Griffin among others had some nasty looking mold. I was so upset. I went through them all and chose to salvage just three -- The Stuffed Griffin, The River Cafe (where Jamie Oliver worked and copied most of his recipes from...if you like the Naked Chef, order the gorgeous River Cafe books.... http://www.amazon.com/River-Cafe-Co...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208143986&sr=8-1)
and Talk About Good! it's basically the Cajun Bible. Given that I had to Clorox, wipe down with alcohol, leave in the sun, and iron these cookbooks, trust me when I say they are staples in a good kitchen.

My favorite cookbook right now is Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-City...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208144222&sr=1-1 I can't even begin to tell you how good this book is. Susan Spicer's restaurant, Bayona, is one of my two favorites in New Orleans. Her food is rich without being heavy. It's just really fresh and flavorful. The crazy thing is, the cookbook shows that the food is pretty simple, too. It's just that she uses some great flavor combinations. She also is pretty frugal about ingredients, and tells you when olive oil will do over extra virgin olive oil, and recommends cheeses other than parmesan reggiano. It's a great cookbook. I could live off her Green Rice recipe.

I have never heard of green rice until now. I googled and found 3 different, yet similar recipes. I will try this soon....sounds yummy! We love mexican food!!!
 
On Food and Cooking and The Food Lover's Companion are both excellent references, although I wouldn't call either of them a cookbook.

My two favorite cookbooks are Thomas Keller's Bouchon and Anthony Bourdain's The Les Halles Cookbook.

Of course, there's also the notebook Allifunn gave me in which I keep all my favorite tried-and-true recipes.:wub:
 
:clap::clap::clap:

I collect Junior League cookbooks from all over, and (well, it's called the Utility Club, but I think it's pretty close) this it the best one ever.

A bunch of my cookbooks were under a window that leaked wind driven rain during Katrina, and the Stuffed Griffin among others had some nasty looking mold. I was so upset. I went through them all and chose to salvage just three -- The Stuffed Griffin, The River Cafe (where Jamie Oliver worked and copied most of his recipes from...if you like the Naked Chef, order the gorgeous River Cafe books.... http://www.amazon.com/River-Cafe-Co...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208143986&sr=8-1)
and Talk About Good! it's basically the Cajun Bible. Given that I had to Clorox, wipe down with alcohol, leave in the sun, and iron these cookbooks, trust me when I say they are staples in a good kitchen.

My favorite cookbook right now is Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-City...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208144222&sr=1-1 I can't even begin to tell you how good this book is. Susan Spicer's restaurant, Bayona, is one of my two favorites in New Orleans. Her food is rich without being heavy. It's just really fresh and flavorful. The crazy thing is, the cookbook shows that the food is pretty simple, too. It's just that she uses some great flavor combinations. She also is pretty frugal about ingredients, and tells you when olive oil will do over extra virgin olive oil, and recommends cheeses other than parmesan reggiano. It's a great cookbook. I could live off her Green Rice recipe.

I'll be down week after next. Punzy, I've a got a new Stuffed Griffin with your name on it. Thanks for the review.
 
Cook book??? I don't need no stinkin' cook book, :lie: J/K :biggrin:
I have several, but not any specific one. I love to go to the internet for recipes!

same here. the food channel is my fave. I've retrieved so many emeril recipes - and I never watch the show - but his recipes are often really helpful.

On Food and Cooking and The Food Lover's Companion are both excellent references, although I wouldn't call either of them a cookbook.

My two favorite cookbooks are Thomas Keller's Bouchon and Anthony Bourdain's The Les Halles Cookbook.

Of course, there's also the notebook Allifunn gave me in which I keep all my favorite tried-and-true recipes.:wub:

wait. I didn't get one of these. allifunn!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top