• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite Cookbooks

New posts
My Aunt and Uncle both retired from Alabama Power Company. They have an organization called the Pioneers that most of the retirees are memebers of. They publish cookbooks with recipes from their members. They are called Calling All Cooks. These cookbooks are filled with great Southern Recipes. You can order them here. I have the 1982 edition, and I use it all the time. If you like good southern food you will love these cookbooks.
 
whos-your-mama.jpg
 
On Food and Cooking and The Food Lover's Companion are both excellent references, although I wouldn't call either of them a cookbook.

My two favorite cookbooks are Thomas Keller's Bouchon and Anthony Bourdain's The Les Halles Cookbook.

Of course, there's also the notebook Allifunn gave me in which I keep all my favorite tried-and-true recipes.:wub:

Combine the On Food and Cooking with something like and you have all you could need. Quintessential cookbooks imo. They offer the what, when, where, and how of cooking. The "who" is in the other books-- compare Marcella Hazan's braised pork loin in milk from the book Tootsie mentioned with Bourdain's version in the Les Halles book. Two peoples' interpretations of the same techniques. Both of which are tasty btw.
 
Last edited:
I guess my all time favorite is the old Red & White checked Better Homes cookbook. Mine is so pitiful looking, but I go back to it time after time.

I use mine for breads, etc. I love it! I just adjust ingredients a little & it's grayt! It's totally falling apart.:clap:

I also use "Feeding the Whole Family," "1,000 Vegetarian Recipes," etc, but we mainly cook by whatever we feel like doing at that moment. In 7 years, I've only had 2 total flops, according to Mr. OM.:biggrin:
 
Actually, Rapunz's 1957 Columbus (GA) Junior League cookbook survived. It is a true curiousity. Tonight for dinner we can start with a rolled bacon canape, move on to a hot chicken loaf with casserole of green peas finished with a 'girdle buster' pie!
 
Actually, Rapunz's 1957 Columbus (GA) Junior League cookbook survived. It is a true curiousity. Tonight for dinner we can start with a rolled bacon canape, move on to a hot chicken loaf with casserole of green peas finished with a 'girdle buster' pie!

Hmmm. . .sounds yummy. :puke: Now if only her "101 things to do with Hamburger Helper" cookbook had survived. I hear that one is a favorite! :rolling:
 
It was an empty notebook, not one with my recipes....:wave:
Spud has her own great recipes, no doubt!
 
It was an empty notebook, not one with my recipes....:wave:
Spud has her own great recipes, no doubt!

It has "The Great Wave" on the cover, and that was my 'tar for a while. I :wub: it. I need to get a couple of allifunn recipes for it, though. ^_^
 
I love all of the late Lee Bailey's cookbooks, but my favorite of them is "Country Weekends." It contains the best blackberry cobbler recipe I have ever found. And I love the baby lima beans cooked with pears in the oven.

For southern food, any of Craig Claiborne's cookbooks are wonderful. I also like Frank Stitt's new cookbook, with beautiful photographs.

"The Joy of Cooking" should be in every cook's kitchen.

And there is a cookbook entitled "Southwest Tastes" that contains so many superb recipes that I have lost count over the years. I think every single recipe in this book is a real winner. Nice photos, too.

Oh, and I love Jr. League cookbooks from all places. The best ones I have found are from the Leagues in St. Louis and Seattle.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top