• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Favorite Cookbooks

New posts
OMG, I am my mother!!

I used to watch my mother "read" cookbooks and think--"Good Grief! can't she read anything of any importance?" Now, as I read all of her cookbooks (dozens of them) plus more that I have purchased, plus magazines and watching Food Network, I now get it. Thinking about cooking food for family and friends is pretty doggone good entertainment. Thank goodness I kept that 1st edition Joy of Cooking that belonged to my grandmother, not to mention all the rest of the upgrades (you never know when you're gonna have to catch, cook & clean that turtle for 1st class turtle soup:wub:).
 
I really like the Southern Living yearly cookbooks, Emeril's "every day is a party"-I think that's what it is called-I lost the cover-and the University of Memphis alumni cookbook has some very interesting ideas in it. Being a "former" restaurant manager, I have dozens of cookbooks & recipes I have compiled. There was a time when I would rather read a menu in a good retaurant insted of my cookbooks, :lol: but now I am getting that itch again to create.

By the way, I have used Emeril's chili recipe and added my own ingredients to it to make the best chili I have ever had. It has won 3 different chili cookoffs.:yikes: It is a tad bit on the hot side but nothing a cold PBR tallboy can't fix.:lol:

Emeril drives me crazy to watch, so I don't. but I love his recipes to death, so I get 'me off the food channel website. the best thanksgiving turkey I ever cooked was his. he has some good stuff no lie!
 
:clap::clap::clap:

A bunch of my cookbooks were under a window that leaked wind driven rain during Katrina, and the Stuffed Griffin among others had some nasty looking mold. I was so upset. I went through them all and chose to salvage just three -- The Stuffed Griffin, The River Cafe (where Jamie Oliver worked and copied most of his recipes from...if you like the Naked Chef, order the gorgeous River Cafe books.... http://www.amazon.com/River-Cafe-Cookbook-Ruth-Rogers/dp/0091812550/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208143986&sr=8-1)
and Talk About Good! it's basically the Cajun Bible. Given that I had to Clorox, wipe down with alcohol, leave in the sun, and iron these cookbooks, trust me when I say they are staples in a good kitchen.

My favorite cookbook right now is Susan Spicer's Crescent City Cooking http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-City-Cooking-Unforgettable-Recipes/dp/1400043891/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1208144222&sr=1-1 I can't even begin to tell you how good this book is. Susan Spicer's restaurant, Bayona, is one of my two favorites in New Orleans. Her food is rich without being heavy. It's just really fresh and flavorful. The crazy thing is, the cookbook shows that the food is pretty simple, too. It's just that she uses some great flavor combinations. She also is pretty frugal about ingredients, and tells you when olive oil will do over extra virgin olive oil, and recommends cheeses other than parmesan reggiano. It's a great cookbook. I could live off her Green Rice recipe.

Thanks Punzy! I just ordered these as a gift for one of our favorite dinner party throwin' couples. They love the Naked Chef. So, I'm hoping they don't already have the River Cafe. I also hope the books arrive in time to let me read through them first!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top