• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

More Spring Breakers than ever in SoWal

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they will be around for another few weeks, but this week is the busiest of all the Spr Brk weeks. If I can just make it through this week, all will be good. I promise to breathe and try to relax, not intentionally running over anyone or bi-atch slapping any strangers. (did I type that?) :D
 
Smiling JOe said:
I promise to breathe and try to relax, not intentionally running over anyone or bi-atch slapping any strangers. (did I type that?) :D

OH, MY...are we in a bad mood or what? Just kidding. I can only imagine what it must be like for those of you who are lucky enough to live in SoWal. The quietness of the winter and then BAM, all the tourists coming in. I know it must be frustrating for you. However, you still got that beautiful beach. Stroll on down there and drink you a guiness and chill....that is what I would do.
 
kathydwells said:
OH, MY...are we in a bad mood or what? Just kidding. I can only imagine what it must be like for those of you who are lucky enough to live in SoWal. The quietness of the winter and then BAM, all the tourists coming in. I know it must be frustrating for you. However, you still got that beautiful beach. Stroll on down there and drink you a guiness and chill....that is what I would do.
Oh, considering the alternative places to live year round, it ain't so bad, really. Typically, only a few people piss me off, and stilll it is many less than would p___ me off daily if I had to drive to work on I-285. I do have to remember to breathe, but I do not recall ever coming close to biatch slapping anyone, just talking like a pimp. :funn: :D
 
We live in a "cyclical" town too because it's a university town. Every late August a few hundred thousand students come to town, many new to college which has its challenges. They leave again in April and the town gets very quiet. It's very different when the students are here (for example, I warn the kids in late August to be VERY careful crossing the streets especially at this time because there are young drivers on the road, more drinkers on the road, more people who don't know the area, etc.). But I always remind myself that my job and the economy of the area depends on the students, the area is richer in many ways because they are here (more restaurants, theaters, etc.), and most are very thoughtful. It's really a very small number of people who give the group a bad name.

During the school year, I just plan my travels around student life -- e.g., don't drive anywhere on football Saturdays, go shopping when students are still sleeping, eat at the restaurants that are least crowded, etc.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Oh, considering the alternative places to live year round, it ain't so bad, really. Typically, only a few people piss me off, and stilll it is many less than would p___ me off daily if I had to drive to work on I-285. I do have to remember to breathe, but I do not recall ever coming close to biatch slapping anyone, just talking like a pimp. :funn: :D


SJ, you and my parents have the same beef. They live in Naples all year round and have to deal with all the snowbirds who come for the "season." My mother is ready to scream! It takes her forever to get to the grocery now.

I think high seasons are a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you're glad for all the money the tourists are pumping into the local economy. And the hustle and bustle they generate is energizing. I guess you have to look at it that the majority are wonderful people who arrive in good moods and stay in good moods because they're partaking of SoWal paradise. The remainder--the ones who make you cringe--well, odds are they're that way in their hometowns, too. You have to deal with them only for a week or so (see, there is mercy in this world!). :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
I've been driving around SoWal so far, but we're thinking of getting 4 bikes for the family (I think Mermaid and Merman are bikers). It will be very useful at times like these. And then we wouldn't plan to go very far -- just within a mile or two of the cottages. We'd have a "busy season" vacation plan and a "slow season" vacation plan and figure out how to make both seem equally enjoyable.
 
Paula said:
I've been driving around SoWal so far, but we're thinking of getting 4 bikes for the family (I think Mermaid and Merman are bikers). It will be very useful at times like these. And then we wouldn't plan to go very far -- just within a mile or two of the cottages. We'd have a "busy season" vacation plan and a "slow season" vacation plan and figure out how to make both seem equally enjoyable.

That we are! We do exactly what John R does--cut through Watercolor, even though it's definitely longer--because getting from our place near Seagrove Plaza over to Grayton is miserable in the busy season. Seaside is so congested! You have to watch for other cyclists, dawdling walkers, strollers...augh. It's easier to cycle the scenic route through the back roads of Watercolor.

I think bikes are a great way to get around. I've just bought a nifty little hot pink backpack for those impromptu cycling shopping expeditions. Lili Pulitzer won't know what hit 'em. :roll:
 
John R said:
every year at this time, i consider geting a bike and locking it at watercolor, and riding into seaside from there. 30a is unnavigable during height of spring break, as is 98.

jr

Yeah, just wait till the scooter rentals start. You will scooters zooming between the gridlocked cars. And of course the obligatory folks walking across 30A at Seaside who feel pedestrians have the right of way at all times, in all circumstances (especially after consuming booze). :bang:
 
Sueshore, thanks for the navigation guide to Publix! I am always getting lost in there. And it is truly a Southern map...I love the soft drink section that is simply labeled "Cokes." :razz: I am going to place copies of this in our beach house.

SJ, I feel your pain about the Publix cart traffic. People just stand in the middle of the aisle turning in circles or talking on their cells. One day, I stood at the deli counter for a good 10 minutes while a vacationing couple sampled just about every lunch meat and cheese in the case, the server looking over their shoulders straight at me. The deli workers definitely need better training about their selection of products and how to serve. Did they ever get one of those number dispensers? Badly needed in a store that large.

The worst place on earth for rude grocery-goers has to be Scottsdale, AZ. You know all those old people in FL? Well, their grandparents live in Scottsdale, AZ. They will muscle their carts right in front of yours in the counter line, looking you dead in the eye the entire time. Don't ask what happens if you take issue with this behavior. It's not worth it, believe me.

Well, it is awfully nice to have Publix so close and they do have a wonderful selection of items at very reasonable prices. Our local market is like a bar scene during "peak hour," too. It is not a place to dash in-and-out. But it is a nice reminder of what is special about living in a small town.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top