• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Rick Brown for Sheriff

New posts
I guess I should stay out of this but since it is here. What salary is it that you suggest is a comfortable level for the deputies? To clarify, what deputies are being included in the average that you give? Not names, ranks or positions. How does all of this relate to the 'Cody' wage study that has been used to justify raises for the deputies in the past two budget years? I have never really followed the Sheriff's budget that much, but I do know it seems to generate a lot of conversation.

Are we talking about the National Average of Sheriff's Office's or Law Enforcement as a whole? If you look at the national, you will find that the qualifications of many departemtents, are much higher than what exists in Walton County. In many departments, a college degree, or additional schooling, is "preferred" not required. However, many departments like to see education and proficiency beyond high school. A more seasoned officer might have the additional experience that helps make those "important" decisions, like Trespass on the Beach. The better trained candidate, the higher salary. To raise the entry level pay with out raising the bar is not the smartest idea.
 
To Sunset Baby,
Thank you for your positive posting! Your trust and support just makes me more determined to win this election. I intend to prove to you and the other citizens of Walton County that you did make the right choice.
Thanks again
Rick


Do you only answer to positive postings????:idontno: I and a lot of other people would like to know how you think your "experience" measures up to the other candidates?? Why do you think debates "confuse" people are we in Walton County not smart enough to figure out who we'd like running our own county??

And also how does your boss like you running against him??
That seems a bit fishy.....Considering you still have a job..:scratch:Thank you and I'd appreciate a response..
 
I apologize for the untimely response.
Please let me clarify the wage statement. I will look at all possible avenues to get the deputies a raise.
The budget generates a great controversy. It is all public record.
Sorry if I offended anyone by telling Sunset baby she was a positive reinforcement to my candidacy.
All the candidates say they share the same goals. It will be a difficult decision that will be vested in the people of Walton County to place the best candidate in office who they feel will serve the public in a professional manner.
The people of Walton County are some of the most educated, professional and well mannered people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
One way to make this County one of the best in the state is to get the community to interact with the Sheriffs’ Office and to have an open link of communication.
Thanks
Rick
 
Last edited:
I have just read and posted comment to an interesting thread/post on Gang Activity, found on this site. Please review the factual postings, be aware that some of the comments are misinformed as it seem a couple of people have gone off track with immigration issues. Please comment on the gang situation here in Walton County. Thank you.
 
Watcher
You asked me about a possible gang problem in Walton County. I personally do not think we have an actual gang problem. I think we have a small number of juveniles who would like to think they are gang members. These “want to be” juveniles have no clue what a real gang is. This “want to be Gang” group would more than likely wet themselves if approached by a real gang member from, say Chicago or New York.
I dealt with oriental gang members of Okaloosa County in the late 70s and early 80s. It takes a constant and aggressive unit to suppress this type of activity. Amazing how they just “disappeared”.
The want to be groups around here focus their energy on spray paintings, emblems and figures they have seen pictures of and read about. Other activities are stealing and vandalizing property.
I have not seen anyone wearing “colors” to identify any type of gang.
If we are in the infant stages of seeing a possible gang problem, it should be addressed immediately, no matter who the sheriff is.
I also want to add, if any one on sowal happens to see anyone sporting some type of gang colors or emblems, please contact me immediately. Together we can “nip it in the bud”.
I know professionals who would be more than glad to educate the sheriff’s office in gang activity and what to look for and how to recognize a potential problem.
If elected, gang issues will be addressed.
Thanks for the posting
Rick
 
Duncangrace
I still have my reservations about debates. I talked with another candidate about debates. He does not wish to debate either. We do not care to debate personal ideas or plans for the sheriffs’ office. I will be glad to answer anyone’s questions that they post on any forum like sowal. If I answer a question that needs clarification please call the phone number posted on my web site for a personal interview.
As far as the confusion matter.
The only one that I have seemed to confuse was you. For this I apologize.
I think you have gone a little too far on your postings by insinuating I may be chicken. If I can be of any further assistance to you, please contact me.
I am sure you would get a better understanding of what I stand for if we met sometime. I also will have a meet and greet in the future and will post the date and time.
Thanks
Rick
 
******Newsflash****
Candidate Rick Brown was spotted in the restaurant located on Hwy 98 and 393 (The service station restaurant, Saturday, February 2nd, in full unform with a marked sheriff's car parcked out front.... campaigning while on duty and handing out his candidacy cards!)

It must be nice to have all the citizens of Walton County paying for his campaign! And to pay his salary while he's doing it too! I wonder if sheriff Johnson will have any specific comments at this time about the way Brown is " Bettering himself and explaining his responsibilities," as reported in the Walton Sun as to what Johnson said about Brown's candidacy.
 
Buster, that's hardly news. I doubt there has ever been a deputy running for sheriff who hasn't politicked while on the job. If someone asks him about it while on duty I see nothing wrong with him talking about it as long as he isn't neglecting duties.

As far as taxpayers paying for campaigns, I don't like it but think about Senators Clinton, Obama, and McCain, and Governor Romney, etc . . . . you think those guys are getting any work done in their current jobs for their constituents?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your last sentence.

There will be no bashing of candidates on these forums.
 
As far as taxpayers paying for campaigns, I don't like it but think about Senators Clinton, Obama, and McCain, and Governor Romney, etc . . . . you think those guys are getting any work done in their current jobs for their constituents?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say in your last sentence.

There will be no bashing of candidates on these forums.

Like you, I do not care for people jumping on, registering, and making negative posts. It is obvious what they are trying to do. But, if true, it could prove to be a problem. Two employees of the Walton County Tax Collector were charged, went through an adminstrative hearing, and fined for campaigning while on government time. Senator Gary Siplin was arrested for same. So while I am sure it does occur, there are some statutory prohibitions.
 
******Newsflash****
Candidate Rick Brown was spotted in the restaurant located on Hwy 98 and 393 (The service station restaurant, Saturday, February 2nd, in full unform with a marked sheriff's car parcked out front.... campaigning while on duty and handing out his candidacy cards!)

It must be nice to have all the citizens of Walton County paying for his campaign! And to pay his salary while he's doing it too! I wonder if sheriff Johnson will have any specific comments at this time about the way Brown is " Bettering himself and explaining his responsibilities," as reported in the Walton Sun as to what Johnson said about Brown's candidacy.

Buster, that is pretty interesting information. Perhaps you should gather your facts first though. Rick Brown currently does not have any expendetures listed on his campaign finance report with the supervisor of elections for "candidacy cards" or any other form or printed material. Perhaps he was handing out one of his department issued business cards, giving someone the phone number to the Sheriff's Office, following up on a case, responding to a call for service, or doing something else related to his current position as a Deputy Sheriff? How can you make the assumption that just because you spot Deputy Brown handing someone a piece of paper that he is "campaigning" for the position of Sheriff? Mighty big assumption, isn't it.

Let me clarify that I do not speak on behalf of Rick Brown, nor do I know him personally. I am a supporter of Mr. Brown, as I beleive he is the best man for the job. Perhaps you should call Mr. Brown directly and ask him what he was doing at this gas station when you "spotted" him... just a suggestion!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top