• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Talk Derby to me

New posts
ewww that's beurtiful.

There are designers that make hats just for the derby. They are beautiful creations with a price range of anywhere from $200.00 to $500 or 600.00 or more! Some are collectors items. That of course was my favorite part of the derby....well that and the parties!
 
Last edited:
There are designers that make hats just for the derby. They are beautiful creations with a price range of anywhere from $200.00 to $500 or 600.00! Some are collectors items. That of course was my favorite part of the derby....well that and the parties!

suzanne was on martha today.:blush:
it was interesting to see how she makes them.
 
There are designers that make hats just for the derby. They are beautiful creations with a price range of anywhere from $200.00 to $500 or 600.00 or more! Some are collectors items. That of course was my favorite part of the derby....well that and the parties!
that would be my favorite part too,I love hats!:wub:
 
I'm a former "Louisvillian," so I've been to the Derby several times. What I remember about living there during Derby week is that no one in town works all week. I worked for Humana, and we just turned our phones off and had Derby activities all week. It was nuts!

I remember having breakfast at Churchill Downs to watch the horses work out...it was called Dawn at the Downs. And I miss Derby Pins...little lapel pins sold everywhere for a couple bucks. If you got a gold-colored one, you'd win a prize.

On the Friday before Derby Day, school would be out because all the locals go to Churchill Downs for The Kentucky Oaks race day. We'd steer clear on Derby Day usually. That was for the tourists. But The Oaks was just for us. It's the only day they open the infield besides Derby. Things were a little more family friendly for The Oaks.

I haven't been in 7 or 8 years, but I get misty thinking about all the Derby hoopla this time of year. We had a small Derby Party here last year, but The Red Bar sounds like fun.

All together now...."The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home...."
 
You're the best! I knew there would be a "menu."

BTW, I will be back in town May 13-15 if you want to invite me to dinner again :). Yes, I just invited myself but at least I know how to get there ;)

You are always welcome- just show up...maybe we should do a late Derby supper!
 
I'm a former "Louisvillian," so I've been to the Derby several times. What I remember about living there during Derby week is that no one in town works all week. I worked for Humana, and we just turned our phones off and had Derby activities all week. It was nuts!

I remember having breakfast at Churchill Downs to watch the horses work out...it was called Dawn at the Downs. And I miss Derby Pins...little lapel pins sold everywhere for a couple bucks. If you got a gold-colored one, you'd win a prize.

On the Friday before Derby Day, school would be out because all the locals go to Churchill Downs for The Kentucky Oaks race day. We'd steer clear on Derby Day usually. That was for the tourists. But The Oaks was just for us. It's the only day they open the infield besides Derby. Things were a little more family friendly for The Oaks.

I haven't been in 7 or 8 years, but I get misty thinking about all the Derby hoopla this time of year. We had a small Derby Party here last year, but The Red Bar sounds like fun.

All together now...."The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home...."[/quote]

We need to find each other and hold hands for this....Saturday is my second Derby Day living at the beach and not in the 'Ville....
 
I'm a former "Louisvillian," so I've been to the Derby several times. What I remember about living there during Derby week is that no one in town works all week. I worked for Humana, and we just turned our phones off and had Derby activities all week. It was nuts!

I remember having breakfast at Churchill Downs to watch the horses work out...it was called Dawn at the Downs. And I miss Derby Pins...little lapel pins sold everywhere for a couple bucks. If you got a gold-colored one, you'd win a prize.

On the Friday before Derby Day, school would be out because all the locals go to Churchill Downs for The Kentucky Oaks race day. We'd steer clear on Derby Day usually. That was for the tourists. But The Oaks was just for us. It's the only day they open the infield besides Derby. Things were a little more family friendly for The Oaks.

I haven't been in 7 or 8 years, but I get misty thinking about all the Derby hoopla this time of year. We had a small Derby Party here last year, but The Red Bar sounds like fun.

All together now...."The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home...."[/quote]

We need to find each other and hold hands for this....Saturday is my second Derby Day living at the beach and not in the 'Ville....

I just noticed that the mint in my garden is growing! I'll make a toast to the Derby this weekend!

I think whenever we retire and move away from Indianapolis, I'll have the same thoughts about Race Day as you do about Derby. It'll be strange not to hear the roar of engines during the month of May. :(
 
I'm a former "Louisvillian," so I've been to the Derby several times. What I remember about living there during Derby week is that no one in town works all week. I worked for Humana, and we just turned our phones off and had Derby activities all week. It was nuts!

I remember having breakfast at Churchill Downs to watch the horses work out...it was called Dawn at the Downs. And I miss Derby Pins...little lapel pins sold everywhere for a couple bucks. If you got a gold-colored one, you'd win a prize.

On the Friday before Derby Day, school would be out because all the locals go to Churchill Downs for The Kentucky Oaks race day. We'd steer clear on Derby Day usually. That was for the tourists. But The Oaks was just for us. It's the only day they open the infield besides Derby. Things were a little more family friendly for The Oaks.

I haven't been in 7 or 8 years, but I get misty thinking about all the Derby hoopla this time of year. We had a small Derby Party here last year, but The Red Bar sounds like fun.

All together now...."The sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home...."[/quote]

[B]We need to find each other and hold hands for this....Saturday is my second Derby Day living at the beach and not in the 'Ville....
[/B]

I know Derby holds memories of your dad too. :wub: Enjoy the happy ones.
(oops... this was meant to quote jdarg)
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top